Question on how to record share losses

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:14:14 +1000

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:07:22 Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 05:29:24PM +0200, TrackerChamp wrote:
> > I agree with you. But why does the online help example with the
> > painting do exactly the opposite? If the painting you bought for
> > 5000$ is revalued and found to be worth $5500, the example says to
> > book the $500 as unrealized gain in an income account!
>
> Well, I'm not an accountant either, but that doesn't seem right.  I
> don't know who wrote that specific example, but unless it was Chris
> Browne (who is pretty reliable) it was probably written by a
> programmer rather than an accountant.

However, that specific example has some *very* weird arithmetic going
on.  I mailed Chris Browne about it a while ago when going through the
docs pre-1.6, but didn't hear back from him.

Maybe I should discuss it w/Melissa and see if we can't rewrite that
example.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig