Unrealized/Realized Gains and Losses

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:31:07 -0500

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:08:02PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> OK, so then how does one go about recording an unrealized gain or
> loss?  Are you trying to say that the *only* way to record an
> unrelized gain/loss is to record a new price?  Or rather, that this
> is the only way that gnucash *should* support it?

I'm just saying that unrealized gains and losses aren't accounting
events, and so don't need to be recorded as transactions.  Unrealized
gains and losses are just differences in net asset value due to a
change in price; so what's the problem with recording the change in
price in order to show the change in asset value?  You seem to be
upset about that but I don't understand why.

> I provided a suggestion for how to 'fix' gnucash, but you seem to be
> rejecting it.  Do you have a better solution?

I don't understand what the problem is.  The way gnucash works now
seems correct to me, with the exception that some reports probably
need to be updated to calculate unrealized gains and losses if they
don't now.  What is it that you're trying to fix?

b.g.