Unrealized/Realized Gains and Losses

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:51:49 -0500

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 07:36:01PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> To provide a specific example to chew on:
>
> jan 15 1996 buy 50 units @ $10
> jul 15 1996 buy 50 units @ $15
> jan 15 1997 buy 50 units @ $20
> jul 15 1997 sell 60 units @ $18
> jan 15 1998 sell 60 units @ $19
> jul 15 1998 record new price of $23
>
> what is the cost basis?  what is the realized gain? what is the
> unrealized gain? what's the 'long tem cap gain'? what's the
> 'short term cap gain'?  Which units did you sell, the ones you
> bought long ago, or the ones you bought recently?

What we're talking about is whether Gnucash needs a new account type
to deal with unrealized gains/losses.  It doesn't.

Are the reports substandard? yes.  Do they need to deal with various
kinds of basis computations, including FIFO and designated lot sale?
yes.  Do they need to compute long and short term capital gain?  yes.
I don't believe I ever said any different.

I wish you would stick to the technical discussion and quit calling me
names.  I'm not interested in that kind of argument.

b.g.