problem with balancing mutual fund account

Teddy Odum teddy2@louisacomm.net
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 16:27:38 -0500

Hi all,

Ok, I'm getting a little annoyed trying to learn this program.  I want
to enter mutual fund purchases.  I set up two accounts:  one called
"Cash" where the money to be used to buy mutual funds come from, the
other called "mutual fund" which will list all buys and sells of the
mutual fund.  I put $1200 in the cash account, three entries at $400
dollars a piece, one month apart.  In the mutual fund account, I
transfer money from the cash account to purchase.  I end up buying
fractional shares of mutual funds because of the dollar amount.  Each
month I purchase $400 dollars worth of mutual fund.  Each time I try
to enter these values, the first purchase balances out.  On the second
entry, a pop up asks if I want to "balance it manually," "let gnucash
add an adjusting split" etc.  I pick "balance it manually" because
gnucash has added 10 cents to the cash account.  I don't understand
this accounting principal, maybe. The 10 cents was not there before.
(Or is it a bug in the program.)  I
adjust the $400.10 to $400 and go back to the ledger of the mutual
fund account.  It has changed all my fractional values to 400 shares
at $1 for $400.  Anyone have any advice for repairing this confused
program (and patron)?

--
teddy