Use of *.log for crash recovery?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:58:12 -0500

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:44:22AM -0700, Andy Fraser was heard to remark:
> As my first gnucash project, I created a file I called main, imported
> a cbb bank account (not at all straight forward) and did a lot of
> rearranging.  Before I saved all my work, I crashed X and killed
> gnucash.  I see a file called main.20010812212735.log.  Can I use that
> to recover my work?  If so, how?

There's a recovery script in gnucash-1.4, called gnc-restore.pl
However, this script has not been maintained, and doesn't work with
gnucash-1.6

In theory, the log-file hasn't changed between these two versions
(I hope).   That means that you should be able run the recovery
script in 1.4, and then upgrade to 1.6.    Not a perfect solution, but

Fixing the perl script probably eans doing some hacks to get swig
working right on  glib 'GList' linked lists, which woukld be needed to
insert & maniuplate data ...

--linas

--
I'm very PUBLIC-MINDED, I'm helping a NIGERIAN get his $25,000,000 back!