slibcat permissions (was no subject)

Haines Brown brownh@hartford-hwp.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:41:55 -0400

I'm still wresting with the slibcat problem.

The problem: When I try to start gnucash under RH 7.1 with Gnome 1.4,
I get error messages that begin:

    ERROR: In procedure open-file:
    ERROR: Permission denied: "/usr/share/guile/1.4/slibcat"
    gnucash: [W] "failure loading
    ""/usr/share/gnucash/scm/c-interface.scm"

It was suggested that slibcat be made readable by the world, but a)
there is no file /usr/share/guile/1.4/slibcat, and b) the file
/usr/share/umb-scheme/slibcat is already readable by the world.

A simple minded work-around might simply be a symlink from the
.../1.4/ directory pointing to my existing slibcat. I just tried it,
and it seems to work. However, to read my data files, I have to
upgrade from my gnucash default 1.4.11 to the 1.6.0-1 I just happen to
have in hand.  Hopefully all will go well.

Haines KB1GRM