libgtkhtml.so.10 dependency

Haines Brown brownh@hartford-hwp.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:50:01 -0400

When I try to install gnucash 1.6 ximian on RH 7.1 +
Gnome 1.4, I get a missing dependency:

      # rpm -ivh gnucash-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
      error: failed dependencies:
	libgtkhtml.so.10 is needed by gnucash-1.6.1-1

The rpmfind site has libgtkhtml.so.9 and libgtkhtml.so.13, but no
libgtkhtml.so.10. What is to be done?

> > I installed (-ivh --replacepkgs) libgtkhtml13-0.10.1, created a
> > symlink from libgtkhtml.so.10 to libgtkhtml.so.13, and ran
> > ldconfig, so that now I get:
>
> when rpm check dependencies, it does not look at ldconfig, it looks
> at the names of the other RPM packages.
>
> The rpm spec file says=20 Requires: gtkhtml >=3D 0.8

I understand that creating symlinks is not right, but I hear that
someone had first installed gnucash with --nodeps and then created a
symlink from libgtk.so.10 to libgtkhtml.so.13, and gnucash at least
initially seemed to work. I don't want to do this if there is a better
appoach. Perhaps I should compile from the source file.

Larry Ewing said:

  Making symlinks between the libraries is not a good idea. While you
  may not run into trouble I wouldn't have bumped the soname if there
  weren't binary incompatible changes.  For the short period while the
  packages still conflict it would be better to force install both
  rather than make a symlink.  Just try to make sure you end up with
  the components that match what evolution wants.

Fine, but where does one get the libgtkhtml.so.10 to force install?
--
    Haines Brown
      brownh@connix.com