gnucash 1.6.1 questions

Haines Brown brownh@hartford-hwp.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:57:42 -0400

> > Ever since I upgraded from 1.4.x to 1.6.x gnucash has demanded
> > that I balance all my new transactions. Is there a way to turn
> > this off and go back to the 1.4.x behaviour where gnucash just
> > didn't care? Otherwise I just get nagged every once in a while to
> > split into my huge, useless imbalance acount.=20
>
> Using a huge, useless imbalance account pretty much renders your
> gnucash data useless as well. If you're not tracking where your
> money is coming and going, then you probably shouldn't bother with a
> personal finance app :)

Dave,

I don't want to be argumentative, but I just can't agree. I'm too poor
to have money flowing in and out of different places. Once a month a
Social Security check is deposited for me, and once a month I make out a
bunch of checks. All the rest is just trying to get by on cash out of
pocket. Surely there are many others in a comparable situation, people
who are poor, elderly, disabled, unemployed, etc., who need a personal
finance application that does not presume one is a capitalist.

True, I don't need a personal finance app having features to satisfy a
a Wall Street Tycoon, but who of us use all the features of various
applications? Why do I bother with a computer finance program? a) I'm
looking forward to printing checks once again because I can no longer
read my own writing, b) I'm so pressed and preoccupied I can't add up
a column of numbers without making a mistake ;-), c) I'm looking
foward to automated bill payments, etc. that can be tracked via a
computer program so that I can mostly stop managing money altogether
and have my computer do it for me.

I'd really like to get rid of the split dialog that is just annoying
and has no use for me.

Haines KB1GRM