old issue about sub accounts and reconcile

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:30:49 -0700 (MST)

On or around Sat, 23 Sep 2000 17:51:15 GMT, Bob and Dave said:

> "Bob Machan" writes:
> > I would like to use sub accounts under my checking account.  Is it
> > possible for all the transactions to show in the parent account and
> > be able to reconcile from that register?  I like to keep track of recurring
> > expenses and projects.  However this makes it difficult to easily reconcile
> > my checking.  It would be nice be able to delete the sub accounts and not
> > lose the transactions and to have the parent account with a balance column.
>
> Reconciling with subaccounts is on our todo list, but is not available
> yet. Deleting accounts and having the option to move the transactions
> to another account is also on the todo list.
>

> thanks,
> dave

Well, I need this functionality.  I run a very similar thing, and
want to have my 20 or so categories reconcilable (is that a word?)
under the checkbook I actually hold the money in.

It seems to me that "all" I should need to do is to add a check box
to the 'reconcile' startup window (the one with the 'ending balance'
and 'date' fields) that says 'include all subaccounts as though they
were one big account' (or whatever makes more sense to say ;-)

So, has anyone done this or started on it?  (I really need it
or something like this, as unless someone can come up with a
better way to keep track of 'allocated funds' as Bob asked
for back then then this is the best way I can come up with
to emulate the shoeboxes ;-).

If not, I guess I'm volunteering (and moving over to the devel list
once I start on it  ;-)

Thanks!

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     rcarruth@Tempe.tt.slb.com or rcarruth@slb.com
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html
"Why would anyone choose a tool that is the primary virus vector of the known universe?" - me