reconciling a liability account

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:58:50 -0700 (MST)

I have the version of gnucash released with Mandrake 8.1, and also
I've just managed (whew!) to upgrade to the latest version, and it
shows the same behaviour, which is:

I have a liability account that I managed to get to balance last
cycle by forcing a transfer at the beginning that made the ending
balance match the statement after all was reconciled.

Now, the next month's statement comes, and I reconcile it all,
finding all the items and checking them off.

However, the ending result is:

Starting balance:                   446.86 (both on statement in and gnucash)
Amount paid (and on the statement): 446.86
Amount spent (and on statement):    691.86
Ending balance on statement:        691.86

Now, in my mind that should be a perfect reconciliation, but
what gnucash says is that the Reconciled balance is 202.11,
and the difference is 489.50!

Now, I'm really confused!  Someone want to hit me with a clue-by-four
or point me at the fine manual???? Please???

Thanks!   And thanks for a great program!

rc