Yet Another Basic Accounting Question

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws@murraytel.com.au
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:20:31 +1100

It depends on what you are in business for.  If you are in the business of
building and selling houses, completed houses become stock-in-trade of the
selling side of the business, and in principle, the whole profit on sale is
taxable, just as with a retailer.  On the construction side, raw materials
are purchases, except that instead of being resold, they are used in
construction, and labour costs and subcontractors are a revenue expense.
That way you can see if it is profitable to build them, or if it would be
better to buy them for resale. (Of course with houses there are other
considerations, such as location.  You can't put a bought house down just
anywhere.)   The above approach implies that there is a mark-up in the
manufacturing side, to get a price for the notional "sale" to the sales
section.  Your books need to be capable of giving you management information,
as well as figures for the tax man.  This is covered in my basic accounting
text, but since I was a professional (a lawyer) I didn't have to learn about
it.  And I am in Oz.

Doug.