Wacked out Income/Expense Chart

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
30 Dec 2001 23:57:45 -0500

    Dave> On Sat, 2001-12-29 at 20:46, Roland Roberts wrote:
    >> I've been trying all the various reports to find out what I can
    >> get out of Gnucash.  When I ran the Income/Expense Chart
    >> report, I found two months that had *really* odd income and
    >> expense values.  After poking around, I found that Gnucash
    >> seems to think that I had about USD$50,000 in income on
    >> 2001-12-10.  I wish.  Of course, it also thinks I had a about
    >> USD$50,000 in expenses that day, so it balances out.  If I do a
    >> search for all transactions on that day, I find I did have some
    >> income due to capital gains being posted to a mutual fund
    >> account.  But the amount is a few hundred dollars.
    >>
    >> Suspecting something strange with these accounts, I told
    >> Gnucash to exclude all my capital gains income accounts but the
    >> huge amount is still there.

    Dave> Have you tried excluding other accounts to see which one(s)
    Dave> cause the anomaly?

It appears to be a combination of capital gains and dividend
payments.  Most of the dividends are in 401k accounts which are rolled
back into the 401k accounts, but there is *nothing* near the
USD$50,000 mark.

Possibly related (and possibly not), my P/L report doesn't make any
sense to me.  My wife and I both have two IRA account which are
identical and which have been static for the past couple of years
except or dividend and capital gains payments (which are rolled back
into the account).  We have exactly the same amounts in exactly the
same funds, so every payment is identical.  But on the P/L report, she
shows capital gains and dividends and I don't.  Additionally, even
though the period is the current year, the amount of (for example)
capital gains on the P/L statement is high by about a factor of 200!
If I click on the item in the P/L report for her capital gains, it
takes me to her account register where I can clearly see that she
should have had $50 in capitals gains, not $17,177.

Even if there is something I don't understand about how Gnucash
calculations capital gains from what I put in, here account and mine
should show exactly the same numbers.  If I click on the line for my
capital gains, it takes me to my account register which is identical
to hers.  But on the P/L report, my capital gains are listed as zero.

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B