Am I missing a shortcut (general ledger)?

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:02:36 -0500

In a message dated: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:06:09 PST
Stephen Walton said:

>Hi,
>
>Since I have 3 charge cards and a checking account and don't update them
>as frequently as I should, I often find myself with an unsorted stack of
>receipts to enter into GnuCash that are from multiple accounts.  The
>General Ledger would seem to be ideal for this, except that every
>transaction seems to require manually entering the amount twice in both
>the "to" and "from" accounts.  Am I missing some shortcut which would
>automatically copy the amount from one entry to the other?

If the transaction is a simple one, i.e., there are no splits, just a
straight debit of one account and credit to the other, you can turn
off auto-split mode and just enter the transaction in the relevant
account register making the credit to the appropriate expense account.

>What about split transactions in the general ledger (and elsewhere)?  Is
>there some way to denote a "main" transaction whose total would
>automatically be updated to reflect the other parts?  That is, suppose I
>have a Discover receipt which has clothes and CD's on it.  Is there some
>way to enter the Expenses:Clothing and Expenses:Records amounts and have
>the Liabilities:Discover total automatically become the sum of those two
>amounts?

Err, it should do that automatically.  At least it does for me.

What version of GnuCash are you using?