Mortgages?

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:12:22 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Bill Gribble said:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:59:27PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:
> > someone needs to write a 'cash flow' report, which is missing in the
> > current version.
>
> Actually isn't it the other way around?  I would have thought only
> income and expense accounts would be part of cash flow.

No; Carol nailed the answer:
income & expense summarize includes changes to all assets (e.g. mortgage
principle) and you want to exclude non-cash assets from the cash-flow
report.  So buying 1000 widgets is a net cash-flow out, even though
your net worth didn't change before & after.

cash-flow = income - expense - non-cash assets + non-cash debts

or something like that.

--linas