refunds: how to file?

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:19:37 -0500

In a message dated: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:14:11 +0200
Andrea.Borgia@nokia.com said:

>> Technically, what's happened is that when you purchased the thing on
>> behalf of your friends you gained an asset (the debt owed to you).
>> When the debt is paid, your cash increases, but your debt asset
>> decreases.
>
>So, how should I structure the accounts? Another account for the money I'm
>owed?
>
>Also, how should I file it? A split between my expenses and this asset? I
>was thinking along the lines of entering it as a rebate of the original
>entry, but maybe this is not correct.

Well, what I do is just receive it into the account it was spent from.

For example, I have:

	Assets	  ->...
		  ->Wallet (what's in my pocket right now)

	Expenses  ->...
		  ->Food

So, suppose I buy lunch for a friend and that costs $10, $5 each.  I debit the
'Wallet' Account $10 for 'Food'.  When my friend pays me back, I credit the
'Wallet' Account $5 as coming from the 'Food' Expense account and just write
in memo field 're-imbursement from Joe'.

This allows me to see how much I really spend on food, and track what's in my
wallet at all times (in theory, anyway :)

I thought about setting up "loan" and "Reimbursement" accounts for this type
of situation, but it just seemed way to tedious, and really didn't represent
what was really happening.

Just my $.02, and please keep in mind, IANAA :)
--

Seeya,
Paul