profit/loss with mutual funds

aud.renne@exmail.de aud.renne@exmail.de
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:24:52 +0100

Jason Rennie wrote:

> aud.renne@exmail.de said:
> > I think that the report functionality will not come up with proper
> > results when I treat thesaurations the same way I handle buys. If this
> > is right, how can I manage this problem.
>
> aud.renne@exmail.de said:
> > Thank you for your hint. Dividend re-investments is what I
>
> Ah, so I handle these almost the same way that I handle buys.  Only
> difference is that I transfer from an income account (my "dividend income"
> account) rather than my checking account.  Is this what you are doing?
> In what report do you find that these transactions are not handled
> properly?
>
> Jason

I'm talking about the portfolio report, which shows the profit/loss per
account. I found that transfering from another account doesn't make any
difference compared to a buy since the value in the value column is
affected. I think that this should read zero for dividend
re-investments.
What way is a profit or loss calculated; should be
(total_amount * current_price) - sum_t(value(t)), that is
(current value of account - money spent to buy the current amount).
And since this contains re-investments the total profit/loss is wrong.

Dirk