(no subject)

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:42:28 +1100

Jan Handwerker writes:
 > Dear *,
 >
 > I just tried to compile gnucash 1.4.9 on my suse 7.0 system.
 > configure ends up with these 4 lines:
 >
 > checking for gtk_xmhtml_new in -lgtkxmhtml... yes
 > Unknown library `xml'
 > checking for xmlDefaultSAXHandlerInit in -lxml... no
 > configure: error: Cannot find libxml.  See the README for more info.
 >
 > But README does not contain information on libxml. grep libxml README
 > reports no output. yast tells me, libxml is installed. What is wrong?

OK, just a general point:

most Linux distributions split libraries up into two packages.  The
first, usually called lib<foo>, contains the shared libraries
themselves and is required to *run* a program compiled with the
library.  The second, called lib<foo>-dev or lib<foo>-devel, contains
a couple of symlinks and the header (.h) files, and is needed to
*compile* a program that uses the library.  Make sure you install the
corresponding devel package first.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We can build a better product than Linux" - Jim Allchin,
chief Windows Technologist, Microsoft Corporation.