GNC-PRICES

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:49:50 -0800

Rob Browning writes:
> Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:
>
> > A couple points. You only need the perl packages if you want to use
> > the online stock lookup, a small part of gnucash, so making them
> > either a runtime or a build-time dependency seems overly
> > restrictive.
>
> Well, IMO if they're optional, then they should probably be handled at
> build time via optional tests, or via --enable-online-quotes.  Then,
> if you've specifically enabled this, configure should fail with useful
> info if you don't have the right bits installed.
>
> Then at runtime, since I don't think we should ever be in the
> situation of having a package that installs a script into ${PATH} that
> fails with bad dependencies when run, either the quoter bits need to
> be placed in a separate package (.rpm, .deb, or whatever) that depends
> on the right perl bits -- if it's decided that the quoting bits are
> worth being made optional, or the scripts need to be smart about
> failing gracefully and printing diagnositics when the things they need
> aren't available.  In either of these cases, it'll still be at
> build/packaging time when some of these decisions are made.
>
> > Also, the packages in question are the same for both the stable
> > and development versions of gnucash. They are lower level net
> > io libraries.
>
> That's true now, but I was thinking long term.  What if we switch to
> finance-quote-hist, or whatever, later?

I think we're talking about different things. GnuCash installs
it's own version of finance::quote itself. There is no need for
a cpan bundle for this. I (and I assume the other poster) am
talking about the low-level libraries that finance quote uses
to do net io. They are not installed by gnucash nor are they
installed by default on some distributions.

dave