Back to GUI bug

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:12:07 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Judd Maltin said:

> Hey coders,
>
> Got this bug down pat now.
>
> Open a register that has entries without any splits.  For example, an
> accounts receivable entry indicating an invoice was sent and we're
> awaiting payment of say, $3.00.  If it just been invoiced, and payment
> hasn't been received yet I  *won't* have the second line of the entry
> indicating the checking account a potentially received check should be
> deposited into.  When (if) the check arrives safely in my hands, and I
> get it to the bank, the appropriate line must be added to the

Dave provides a good explanation.

However, the right thing to do is to transfer the $3 from an account
called 'customer xyz' to account called 'cust xyz awaiting payment'.
Then, when customer finally pays, you transfer $3 (or whatever the
customer paid) from 'cust xyz awaiting payment' to 'bank'.

Thus the account 'cust xyz awaiting payment' records what the customer
owes you.  Its called an 'account receivable'.

Doing it this way, you can track everything that a customer owes you,
as well as when you biled them, as well as when they paid.   Someday
we'll create a special report showing the average age of debts in such
an account, so that you can find the customers who are paying you late,
and how late they're paying.

--linas