Installing slib for use with GnuCash

Peter S. Baker psb6m@virginia.edu
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:31:36 -0500

Wesley wrote:

> Hi,
>         I just switched from Mandrake to Slackware 7.1, and have managed to
> compile GnuCash 1.4.9 from source.  It fails to run for lack of an
> installed slib.  The slib install instructions depend on what sort of
> Scheme i'm using.  Anyone know, or know how I can find out?  Thanks,
>
> --
> Wes Sheldahl
> wsheldahl@qx.net

Yes, the instructions are in the guile INSTALL file. I'll paste them in
here:

Installing SLIB

In order to use SLIB from Guile you basically only need to put the
`slib' directory _in_ one of the directories on Guile's load path.

The standard installation is:

  1. Obtain slib from http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SLIB.html

  2. Put it in Guile's data directory, that is the directory printed
when
     you type

       guile-config info pkgdatadir

     at the shell prompt.  This is normally `/usr/local/share/guile', so
the
     directory will normally have full path
`/usr/local/share/guile/slib'.

[The instructions forget to tell you to unpack the slib archive here.]

  3. Start guile as a user with write access to the data directory and
type

       (use-modules (ice-9 slib))

     at the Guile prompt.  This will generate the slibcat catalog next
     the slib directory.

SLIB's `require' is provided by the Guile module (ice-9 slib).

Example:

  (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
  (require 'primes)
  (prime? 7)