Auto-repeating entries

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:00:38 -0500

In a message dated: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:13:02 CST
Bill Gribble said:

>Heh heh heh.  This is the debate that has actually been going on in
>the gnucash devel community for a while, and there's a significant
>amount of work that's been done to SQL-ify the gnucash financial
>engine.  I'm personally firmly on the side of
>gnucash-as-standalone-program with no DBMS dependencies, with a
>"spinoff" project aimed at small/medium business that supports
>multiple users and a DBMS backend.

It sounds like from Linas' e-mail that that's what they're doing.

>You're probably right, and I don't think you need to worry about
>gnucash requiring a DBMS or web server administrator anytime in the
>foreseeable future.  If we can fit in an "invisible" DB server
>(embedded MySQL or Postgres DB) that doesn't require any
>administration that might make it in, though.

That might be interesting, though for me at least, I really like the idea of
an editable transactions file.  I'm not sure why, maybe because I just like to
poke around and see how things are :)

Which reminds me, I though I heard some mumblings not too long ago about using
an XML file format?  Is that true?  Care to expound upon that idea?

>However, my employer (Gnumatic) *is* working to build web-based
>services to integrate with gnucash,

I can see why the idea has merit.  It definitely makes keeping up with your
finances a whole lot easier and more portable.  Unfortunately, I really don't
like the security implications it exposes.

>and I'm personally right in the
>middle of adding SSL and GPG capabilities to the gnucash HTML browser,
>so don't be too terribly surprised if you see more web interaction in
>the near future.

I won't be.  And, despite my sentiments, I'll probably even play with it :)
--

Seeya,
Paul