Mutual funds balance adjustment

Remco Rijnders remmy@cistron.nl
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:17:20 +0100

    >> I do wonder thought what the function of the Account --> Adjust
    >> Balance menu is then as it seems (to me) that it does such an
    >> odd thing.

    Jason> It's there because sometimes you don't want to enter every
    Jason> transaction in existence for an account. i.e. if you've had
    Jason> a checking account for 7 years and you only want to enter
    Jason> stuff back to one year ago, you use "Adjust Balance" to set
    Jason> the balance as of one year ago.

Gotcha :)

Thank you Jason for explaining this to me. All my accounts that I did
not start out at zero should be opened in this way? Till now I've been
making a credit or debit change to my account with the description
"opening balance". I understand that this can lead to incorrect
reports etc. about income and expenses etc.

May I suggest (to the GnuCash developers) that the adjust balance
option is then to be included in the "create a new account" procedure.
I feel that it would be less confusing in there than in its current
place.

Remmy

--
PGP: 0x4CE578BF ICQ: 760542 | Linux winter 2.2.16 is up 2 days, 46 min
http://uss-centauris.org/   | Reporter: Mr Gandhi, what do you think of