Mutual funds balance adjustment

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:51:07 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Remco Rijnders said:

> Thank you Jason for explaining this to me. All my accounts that I did
> not start out at zero should be opened in this way? Till now I've been
> making a credit or debit change to my account with the description
> "opening balance".

That is right. you should transfer the "opening balance" to your bank
account from another account of type "equity".

> I understand that this can lead to incorrect
> reports etc. about income and expenses etc.

As long as the opening balance is a transfer from type "equity", the
reports will run correctly.
i.e.

assets - liabilities - equity = income - expense

i.e
current_bank_balance - opening_balance = money_you_made - money_you_spent

--linas