Transaction Recalculated Before Split Complete

John W. Tiede j.tiede@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:23:40 -0700

Dave Peticolas wrote:

> "John W. Tiede" writes:
> > linas@linas.org wrote:

> > > I'm not sure, but maybe your problem is that you're uising the
> > > register in 'single imne mode'.  You want it in 'multi-line mode'.
> > >
> > > (Future versions rename this to 'ledger mode', and fix the column
> > > arangement.  'multi-line mode' in version 1.4.x is rather confusing
> > > to use.)
> > >
> > > --linas
> > Thanks for your response.  I was using gnucash in the multiline
> > mode.  When you use gnucash in multiline mode, do the numbers you
> > enter remain fixed until the split is complete or do they change
> > as you enter data?
>
> In GnuCash 1.4.x, they change as you enter new data, which as you
> have discovered is often annoying. The next major version will not
> do this.
>
> dave
Okay.  If gnucash changes the data that I enter in a way that I
cannot complete the split transaction then split transactions do
not work.  A work around could be to enter each transaction
separately and use "description" or "memo" to annotate the transactions
as part of one "global" transaction.  However, this seems too painful
to me.  Does the development version allow split transactions?  If it
does, then I will download the CVS and give it a try.  The next major
version doesn't seem to be too far off, so I would expect that the
development version isn't too broken.

John Tiede