Updating my bank account - qif downloads

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:26:40 -0600

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:16:21AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I assume I'll (have-to (think (backwards)) as it'll involve writing
> Scheme, right?

It will involve writing some Scheme (for the back end) and some C (for
the modifications to the GUI of the QIF import wizard).  The changes
you are talking about will be fairly large, since currently the whole
idea of the QIF importer is just to import the information in the
file, determining the account end point from the Category.

In order to add the use of historical Payee-->account mappings, you'll
need a new page in the wizard to allow the user to review and edit the
mappings from payee to an account.  I'd say this should be similar to
the account->account and category->account mapping pages that already
exist.

The Scheme code for the QIF importer is in src/scm/qif-import/.  Your
changes will probably be mainly to qif-dialog-utils.scm and
qif-guess-map.scm, where you'll add new functions to fill the wizard
mapping page and to guess an account based on the payee.  You'll also
need to change a bit of the logic that currently sets the account name
to Unspecified in qif-guess-map.scm.

The C code for the druid is in src/gnome/druid-qif-import.{c,h}.  The
actual GTK code is mostly done by glade, from the glade XML file in
src/gnome/gnc-dialogs.glade.  You'll want to add a new page for the
mappings to the druid, then copy-edit-paste the code which fills the
existing category and accounts mapping pages.

Or you could wait for me to do it :) This sounds like a useful
feature, and I need to work on the QIF importer some anyway to fix
some outstanding bugs.

b.g.