Transaction Recalculated Before Split Complete

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:43:20 -0800

Todd Greer writes:
> > From: Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com>@lists.gnumatic.com on 01/25/2001
> >       02:42 PM PST
>
> [speaking of splits]
>
> > In GnuCash 1.4.x, they change as you enter new data, which as you
> > have discovered is often annoying. The next major version will not
> > do this.
>
> Thank you!  I had been meaning to send an email begging you to change
> this behaviour.  The one thing that makes me scream at Gnucash and
> froth at the mouth is when it keeps changing the wrong entries in the
> split in a cyclic way that won't let me get the right values in.
>
> That said, calculating some values is very helpful when it changes the
> right fields.  If recalculating doesn't happen automatically, will
> there be a way to say "adjust this one to make the split balance"?
> This way we get the advantage of the computer's better basic math
> skills, and the humans better idea of which entry in the split to
> adjust.

Yes, in the new version, gnucash will put the 'remainder' in the blank
split. Also, if you 'leave' or record an unbalance split, gnucash will
ask you whether you want to adjust the current account, the 'other'
account (assuming there are two splits), adjust it by adding a new
split, or whether you want to adjust it manually.

dave