reports problem

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:45:26 +1100

fred smith writes:
 > > > Gentlemen:
 > > >
 > > > Last night my wife was trying to produce some reports for the year 2000.
 > > > She selected the desired report and its options and when or shortly
 > > > after selecting the "export" button gnucash would appear to hang. If
 > > > we went to 'top' it would show gnucash at 95-99% of the CPU and it would
 > > > go on like that for minutes at a time, until we killed the process.
 > > > BTW this is (ISTR) 1.4.6.
 > > >
 > > > Suggestions? (other than update which I already know is a good idea! ;^)
 > >
 > > Could you tell us which report you ran and which options you
 > > selected?
 > >
 > > thanks,
 > > dave
 > Dave:
 > Turns out I was wrong, it is 1.4.1, so maybe an upgrade will fix it?
 >
 > Anyhow, she chose the transaction report, and in the options menu
 > chose starting date 7/1/2000 and ending date 12/31/2000. under sorting
 > set "transfer from/to (w/subtotal)" as primary key. She says that then
 > it hung "half the time". I personally saw it hang a couple of times and
 > it remained stuck for several minutes with high CPU usage in top. Also,
 > the gnucash windows did not redraw when obscured/unobscured, so I think
 > it was off in the weeds somewhere.

This is a known problem with the transaction report - it barfs on
large reports.  Unfortunately,
there is no easy fix, beyond rewriting the transaction report totally
(which is happening for 2.0).

To work around this problem, the best method is to select only a few
accounts to report at a time, or otherwise split the report up.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.