Building 1.4.10

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:14:03 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that John Kuhn said:
> I don't have a site that I can use to make these .debs available to
> the general public, but if you are interested, contact me via private
> e-mail and I'll tell you where to find them.

gnucash needs a debian maintainer ....
care to volunteer?

> John
> jmkuhn@erols.com
> > 	o It konked out, asking for the 'swig' suite.  I pulled that down,
> > 	  and went on.

swig is used to convert from perl (stock quotes fetched off the net w/
perl module) to C.

> > 	o It konked out claiming it couldn't find libjpeg, libz, or libXpm.

all three used to display images/pixmaps.

> > 	o It konked out again, claiming a missing GTK HTML widget thingie.

used to display reports. The reports are in html, under the (somewhat
failed) theory that 'any user could easily customize & create new
reports'.

> > <RANT DEGREE="MILD">
> > 	GnuCash has to be the most complex software package I've ever
> > encountered.  Its cross-dependencies on a dozen different big, non-standard
> > components is tremendously daunting, even to an old experienced hand such as
> > myself.  When simply *building* a package becomes this complex, the task of
> > making it reliable, IMHO, becomes asymptotically hard.

Um, yes, but now that we've gotten here, its hard to extricate ourselves,
never mind there's little motivation to do so.  All those extra packages
provide all that extra little glitz ...

e.g. you didn't even mention gnome-print, which has caused headaches
in the past ... or would you rather not print ???  See what I mean ?

--linas