[gnucash-user] Balancing

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
05 Jul 2001 13:21:29 -0700

On 05 Jul 2001 13:07:13 +0200, Thibaut Cousin wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I've recently switched from Gnucash 1.4.x to 1.6.0. My old account has been
> successfully imported, everything seems fine... but one detail.
>   I have only an ordinary check account. In Gnucash 1.4, I was able to add
> check and credit card operations "naturally".
>   But in 1.6, for every operation I enter, Gnucash asks me to balance it and
> gives me three possibilities. Only one of them works : a new account is
> created (I have the french name in mind, but the english one must be
> "unbalanced account" or the like) and the opposite operation is added to this
> new account.
>   I know what this is for, but I'm not a company, I have only one account. Is
> it possible to get the same behavior as in Gnucash 1.4 ? This spurious
> account is not very nice...

I don't think you know what this is for -- in GnuCash, expenses
are also represented with accounts. So you could have an expense
account for groceries, one for your telephone bill, one for gasoline,
etc. If you don't want to bother with that, then create a
'miscellaneous' expense account and make all transfers to
that. But you're really missing the whole point of this
program -- tracking where your money goes.

dave