[gnucash-user] Balancing

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
06 Jul 2001 00:40:23 -0700

On 06 Jul 2001 09:28:13 +0200, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
>   I've played around with this yesterday. In fact I'm OK with this system
> now, but there are still some points bothering me.
>   First, I deleted my old account created with Gnucash 1.4 and started a new
> one with the wizard. It created many accounts (for all kinds to expenses and
> credits). My only problem : where is MY account, the one that really exists ?
> Most terms are not translated, and I'm not familiar with this vocabular in
> English. For example, I wanted to edit my account to enter its number, I did
> not know which one to edit.
>   So I deleted all this and created a new account without the wizard (just
> clicked "New account" in the main window). The dialog box to create the
> account was much simpler this time, but I ended up with only two accounts
> (mine and the balancing account). No "category account".
>   Is it possible to create a real account and all the "category" accounts at
> the same time ?
>   Thank you for the answer,

It is possible to create many accounts using that wizard, but
there is as yet no French version of the account hierarchies.

But you can create accounts as you need them. As you enter transactions,
if you need a new account to represent an expense, just type the
name you want into the transfer column and hit 'tab'. GnuCash will
tell you the account does not exist and ask you if you want to
create it (do so). Now the account exists and you can complete
the transfer. Initially, you will have to create lots of accounts,
but as time goes on you will get an account hierarchy that is
useful for you.

dave