1.7 & 1.6.1-2 cannot co-exist?

Jonathan David Wheelhouse whsjnd@froggy.com.au
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:37:33 +1000

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 07:07:52PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two remarks:
> First --
> My guess is that version 1.7 wrote out a file which 1.6.1 cannot read.
> The 1.6.1 version should have noticed that the file version was
> 'too new' and given the 'file too new' popup (in FileDialog.c)
> Dres and/or Dave should double-check that the file version number got
> bumped with the currency-handling change, and that the xml code
> is generating the 'file-too-new' errror correctly. (a quick scan,
> it seems not to generate it at all ??)

I suspected this; however; I diff'd the latest file and one untouched
by 1.7; the only changes seem to be some transactions I had entered.

> Second --
> I don't know how to put this politely -- using the unstable version
> of any kind of software will get you into binds like this, and possibly
> irretreivable data loss.  So, um, ask yourself, if you can't get
> yourself out of a bind, are you sure you should be playing with these
> toys?

A valid point.  Maybe I shouldn't be running Debian unstable? Nah, how
am I going to learn?  I mean, I make some backups and if all else
fails I can live with the data loss (it's not the end of my life).
One of the main reasons I run unstable and play with gnucash
development version is so I can learn; I want to program on Unix and I
think this is the way to go.  After all, nobody is born knowing this
stuff; they have to start somewhere (and making mistakes is part of
that :)

> Anyway, I think the workaround to your problem is to start
> gnucash on the command-line as
>
> /usr/bin/gnucash /some/file/with-known-1.6-data/in-it.gnc

I've done this already; it still fails with the above error.  So, I
think maybe an unstable lib is getting in the way of the proper lib?

Anyhow, off on a tangent - teach me: how should I keep the development
version from interfering with the stable version given I want to have
both on the same box?

I had set the development version to run in /usr/local/... and set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately.  And realised when I ran strace on the
stable version of gnucash that it was looking for libraries in
/usr/local/lib first :(

Anyone care to point a learner in the right direction when playing
with this dangerous toy?

Jonathan
ps. Perhaps I was lucky; I have cvs update'd and compiled the
development version for several months (successfully) without it
interfering with the stable version.