printing checks

greg@gregandeva.net greg@gregandeva.net
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:17:32 -0600

I hope this isn't a really stupid question, but I'm brand new to
GnuCash. I'll spare everybody the details that you've probably heard
before about my struggles to get 1.6.1 installed on a Red Hat 7.1 system
(I never did find an RPM that would install, I had to compile from
source and even that was painful). But now I've got it working, and so
far, it is very impressive. I am converting to GnuCash from Quicken on
Windoze (like many, I'm trying to remove the last non-game reason I have
for keeping Windoze).

My question is about printing checks. The check forms I have are
"Quicken compatible" (of course), and Quicken calls them "wallet"
checks. They are three to a page, with some white space at the bottom,
and a stub in the left margin (Quicken normally fills in the stub,
GnuCash of course does not, but that's OK because I never use the stubs
anyway). I used the following numbers in the custom format to print
these, and it works quite nicely:

8.2    5.3
19.0   5.3
7.5    4.2
18.5   4.8
8.0    1.8
20.7
0.0
Centimeters

The problem is, I have to enter all these &$(@#( numbers for every
individual check. Is there some way I can get GnuCash to save my custom
format so I don't have to manually enter it each and every time? If I
don't find a solution to this, I'll be forced back to Quicken (and
worse,
Windoze). I have looked through the documentation several times, and not
found anything about this (the documentation on how to create a custom
format also leaves a lot to be desired in any case).

On a less important note, Quicken also has two features related to check
printing that I haven't found in GnuCash yet. The first is the ability
to print multiple checks per page in a single run. I haven't found any
way to do this in GnuCash other than to run the sheet through the
printer three times (and re-enter all the **$(@(! numbers three times).
There has to be a better way. Also, Quicken allows transactions to be
marked for later printing, then a single menu item prints all the marked
checks. Is there any way to mark transactions for later printing, or
print multiple checks in a single run without going through the dialog
box for each and every transaction to print?

Thanks,
--Greg