SOLVED: 1.7 & 1.6.1-2 cannot co-exist?

Jonathan David Wheelhouse whsjnd@froggy.com.au
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:59:25 +1000

Problem solved (thanks in part to Linas).

Linas suggested but I had discounted the idea of 1.7 modifying the
file because I had done a diff between the current data file and an
earlier one, one that should have been untouched by 1.7.  The diff
only showed some transaction I had added.  However, there was the
following difference with files that the stable version of gnucash
could use and ones that it couldn't use (much earlier ones).

The files that stable gnucash died on all had the following element:

<gnc:template-transactions>
</gnc:template-transactions>

almost at their end.

When I removed that element gnucash worked.

And, in hindsight, the strace and debug options were telling me that
there was a problem with that snippet of XML:

write(2, "Error: sixtp_sax_start_handler: ", 32) = 32
write(2, "Tag <gnc:template-transactions> "..., 64) = 64

#<procedure gnc:reldError: sixtp_sax_start_handler: Tag <gnc:template-transactions> not allowed in current context.

So thanks to Linas.

And thanks also to Bill for his suggestion on how to keep versions of
gnucash separate.  Obviously, I will also keep the data files separate
too :)

Jonathan