Help installing gnucash 1.6.1

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:53:41 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 07:30:52AM -0500, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:

> RPM-based distributions make it difficult to install multiple versions
> of a library, though; you will probably not be able to install a new
> version of libgal without removing the old one, which will break all
> your existing Gnome programs.  There's no technical reason you can't
> have both versions installed, it's just the way they are packaged
> doesn't acknowledge that the different major versions are essentially
> totally different libraries and wants to replace the older one with
> the newer one, so the packages conflict.

Technically, I have discovered that I can install multiple versions
of library package rpms by using 'rpm -i --nodeps --force' which
causes the newer version to be installed without removing the older
version (and thus without complaining that other dependencies got
broke because the older version was removed).  This, however, is not
for the faint of heart, and can, in some cases, the file conflicts
can lead to difficult jams.  I've always figured I could get away
with it cause I'm smart, but that its dangerous advice for others ...

--linas

--
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/