Sync with gnome releases

Matthew Vanecek linux4us@earthlink.net
17 Jul 2001 21:26:33 -0500

On 17 Jul 2001 12:42:28 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:10:10PM -0500, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:
> > This problem's probably only going to get worse when the next snapshot
> > of Evolution comes out, making people upgrade to the latest and
> > greatest of everything.
>
> Well,
>
> Maybe I should then rephrase my concerns.  When the next drop of evolution
> comes out, it seems we'll have yet another round of incompatible-library-version
> problems.   I don't see any easy way out of this.

There actually is not a problem.  libgal4, libgal5, libgal6, libgal7,
and libgal8 can all coexist quite nicely.  I know--I've done it.  If
people fail to install the clearly documented required libraries to run
gnucash, well, perhaps a sledgehammer might drive a clue in their heads.
The location of gal is *not* a well-kept secret!

> The obvious fall-back plan is to hope that all major gnu/linux distros include
> gnucash natively, and they don't blow it on thier own intra-package dependencies.
>
> I don't know, maybe I'm concerned over nothing, but it just makes my head
> hurt to read all these emails along the lines of 'i can't install this caus'a
> that'.

You will never, ever, ever stop seeing those.  My God, man, I see that
problem at work continually--ON WINDOWS! of all things!!  If people can
screw up simply double-clicking on "setup.exe", how can you possibly
expect them to work through "rpm -Uvh libgalx*rpm gnucash*rpm"?  You
ought to be used to it by now (and yeah, it's kinda frustrating, but
still...).

--
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print