Ctrl-E from account tree not working

rob@myinternetplace.net rob@myinternetplace.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:22:53 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Christian Stimming <stimming@tuhh.de>:

> On Wednesday 25 July 2001 06:34, Michael T. Garrison Stuber wrote:
> > Is it just me, or did Ctrl-E on the account tree stop working
> somewhere
> > around 1.6.1?  Ctrl-E is supposed to bring up edit when an account is
> > selected.  It had worked with the original 1.6.0 release, but it's not
> > working for me on the 1.6 head release.  Is it possible it's something
> > with my build?
>
> Gnome enables you to set the keyboard shortcuts at runtime. Point your
> mouse pointer to the desired menu item (so that the menu item is
> highlighted) and press your favorite keyboard shortcut. The abbreviation
>
> for the shortcut will appear in the menu item line and it will be
> working
> from this moment on.

The gnome implementation of this used to be broken, is it still that way?

My example:

Open gnucash (I just did this with GC 1.6.0), left-click on the _F_ile
menu.  Note that Ctrl-Q is the exit gnucash hotkey.

Now move the mouse over to some other (not _F_ile) menu.  Choose some other
menu, say _S_ettings.  Move the mouse over Style sheets, and hit Ctrl-Q.  You
have just stolen the Ctrl-Q from the Exit function.  What would happen if you
did that over a menu item which already had a hotkey assigned?  What would
happen if you did that on accident (I have a three year old and a one year old
who are just _fascinated_ by the computer, and many hotkey combinations are
accidentally hit by them) and moved a hotkey away from where it belonged, but
you didn't know how to put it back?  What does one do to reset all of those
accidents to their defaults?

In the end, I think it is cute hack that someone didn't think out enough before
they implemented.  OTOH, if no one ever makes mistakes with their typing,
un-implement Ctrl-H.  :-)

rob

This mail sent through IMP: http://webapps.myinternetplace.net/imp