GnuCash - Newbie - Experiences / Questions

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:52:30 -0500

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:38:02PM +0200, Fien.Remerie wrote:
> 2) The QIF importing worked AMAZINGLY well ! Congratulations. I only
> lost some time on language issues. I was using a Dutch version of Money.
> It seems that this writes out QIF-files in Dutch !! (unbelievable in
> fact that the datastructures are language dependent)

Yes, it is unbelievable.

>   a) warn somewhere in the importing process for this possible
> difficulty
>   b) build in here language dependency too.

I agree that (a) should be done, and (b) is already done.  However,
it's not done using a real internationalization framework which would
allow translations to be done easily.  Instead, you can add the
translations to src/scm/qif-import/qif-parse.scm in the function
'qif-parse:parse-action-field'.  There are currently just English and
German symbols there because those are the only ones I have examples
for.  Please feel free to add the Dutch symbols you have translated.
If you could use your version of Quicken to locate the complete list
of investment transaction action types, that would be even better :)

I hope to convert this proess to use the normal gettext translations
soon.  I don't think it will be hard.  The only problem is that it's
not the current locale that matters, but the one that the QIF file was
saved in; I don't want to have to set my LANG to de_DE in order to
import a German QIF file :(

> I would like absolutely a solution for that one. But I can live with a
> scripting (non GUI) solution that enters the thing f.i. via crontabs or
> whatsoever.
>
> Anybody suggestions (or instruction how to start it myself ?)

There is support for scheduled/repeating transactions in the
development version of gnucash (1.7.x).  Hopefully there will be a
1.8.0 within 3-4 months to get it and a few other major new features
in.

> 6) To a lesser extent I miss also the 'who does receive my money' report
> from Money. This looks harder to solve as 'payee' is completely missing
> in the GnuCash concept, isn't it ?

The "Description" is generally used as a Payee field, but there is no
direct support for payees.

b.g.