Data backup

jens psh@home.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:28:18 -0700

Due to some major brain lapse on my part, I managed to delete my entire data
directory for GnuCash. After a LOT of digging, I finally gave up on
recovering the info. The files are there (as far as I know) but there are no
file names (just recovered Inode numbers) and the naming system used has
numbers and what-not in it which makes it impossible to guess at things.
Wanting to get something positive out of the experience, I am trying to find
out how to back up the data for GnuCash. I don't see any way to back up short
of duplicating the entire data directory. Is this the way I should go ? Has
anyone had any luck recovering from am major booboo such as mine ? If I back
up the data directory, will I be able to go to a different computer, start up
GnuCash and load the data from the first machine (I am concerned because of
the weird file names) ?

Jens