gnucash's dependencies criticized

ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:52:52 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Paul Lussier wrote:
> In a message dated: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:10:59 EDT
> "Michael P. Soulier" said:
>
> >    In case you missed /.,
> >
> >    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D01/06/15/0128247&mode=3Dthread
> >
> I read /., and I read the LWN article before that.  Personally I
> thought the person who wrote the LWN article was way off base.  I got
> GnuCash installed pretty easily and nothing broke as a result of the
> upgrades I made.
>
> <begin rant>
>
> Sure, 1.6.0 requireed a number of upgrades, but they make it sound
> like like the number was ridiculously high by stating it as "requires
> 60 different shared libraries".
>
> I upgrade 23 packages.

I'm not yet running GnuCash-1.6, but I recently got into
a similar mess with banal (BANAL is Absolutely Not A Ledger).
The command line version was behaving flaky, so I thought
I would try the CGI interface.  Which requires PHP.  My system
at home is running Debian unstable, and I haven't done a
dist-upgrade in a looonnnnngggg time.  I have had my
computer tying up the phone line 2 nights now, downloading
stuff just based on DEB dependency information.  It's a
piece of cake doing this.  I really don't care how many
dependencies something has.  After the first time having
libc updated on a live system and no crashes, I was sold
on Debian.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)