Where does gnucash fit ?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:39:12 -0500

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:25:48PM -0500, Tim Nowaczyk was heard to remark:

>   With all the discussion I've been hearing about people who, for
> example, use KDE and don't want to install gnome, etc... I have
> something to add in regards to this.  It would be great to have all this
> stuff as plugin modules.  If I use KDE I can use the KDE plugin for

There were attempts along these lines, and there's a raw framework
for displaying the register that way.  But defacto, displaying
the register is a *lot* of hard work, its hard to make it look nice,
there's a lot of complex code there.   And the rest of the interface is
quite extensive as well, it would take a lot of work.  It doesn't
seem to me that anyone will be willing to undertake it.

(The 'engine', which includes the files, sql and rpc backends, is
completely gui-independent, and is meant to be used for creating
derivative programs.  Much of the scheme code is probably gui
independent, and there are also a variety of gui-independent utility
routines.  We've tried to segregate the gnome-dependent code into
directories labelled 'gnome'.  But a KDE port would still be a giant
task, and of somewhat doubtful utility. )

--linas