Installing Gnucash 1.6 under Mandrake 8.0

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
16 Jun 2001 13:56:27 -0700

On 16 Jun 2001 16:58:39 +0200, Shane Morton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice from the postings to this mail list that some people have had
> problems getting
> GnuCash 1.6 to install.
>
> I am having specific problems trying to get it to install under Mandrake
> 8.0. Specifically,
> I have downloaded the GnuCash 1.6.0 source and tried to run configure
> and get the following:
>
>    checking for GNOME-PRINT - version >= 0.21... found 0.29
>    checking for gnome-config... (cached) /usr/bin/gnome-config
>    Unknown library `xml'
>    checking for xmlNewDoc in -lxml... Unknown library `xml'
>    no
>    configure: error: Could not link sample xml program

Check config.log to see what errors show up. This may be
due to a missing lower-level library.

> When I query what packages I have installed I get the following:
>
>    $ rpm -q -a | grep xml
>    libxml-1.8.13-2
>    libxml-devel-1.8.13-2
>
> As far as I can tell I have the latest libxml library installed. Am I
> missing something?
>
> I have also tried installing the GnuCash 1.6.0 rpm. When I tried
> initially I got the following:
>
>    # rpm -i gnucash-1.6.0-1.i386.rpm
>    error: failed dependencies:
>        libgal.so.6   is needed by gnucash-1.6.0-1
>        libgnomeprint.so.11   is needed by gnucash-1.6.0-1
>        libguile.so.6   is needed by gnucash-1.6.0-1
>
> I have the following libraries installed:
>    libguile.so.9.0.0
>    libgnomeprint.so.15.1.9
>    libgal.so.7.0.0
>
> with symbolic links for earlier versions pointing to these libraries.
> Could anyone please suggest what
> I am doing incorrectly, or need to do to satisfy these dependencies?

You have a symbolic link for the libguile.so.6 to libguile.so.9?
Was that link installed by a package or by hand? If by hand, it
may not work correctly.

Anyway, I believe Arnold Troeger is working on Mandrake rpms now,
so you might wait for that.

dave