Fun with gnucash

Ekkehard Goerlach e.goerlach@computer.org
17 Jun 2001 17:39:16 +0200

Hi,

after 1.6 was out I jumped into it this weekend and have really fun with
gnucash (OK, split transactions offered some surprises). I have to deal with
four currencies (CHF, DEM, EURO, USD) and hence I created a set of accounts
for each and populated them with all 2001 transactions. Everything works ve=
ry
nice: thanks for that program! Now, off course, I have some questions/wishe=
s:

With EURO support enabled I get that additional column showing the EURO val=
ues
for items in DEM and EURO (all items of other currencies get 0.00). If I now
check the tool bar with 'Net assets' and 'Profits' gnucash seems to not tre=
at
DEM and EURO interchangeably. E.g. the EURO profits do not include the DEM
profits. It's not a big point as DEM will no longer be here in 2002 but if I
could correct that with some special setup I would like to know.

This brings me to a more general suggestion: could the EURO machinery be
extended so that one could select an overall 'reporting currency'. In my ca=
se
CHF and USD items would be represented in EURO as well (according to the
current exchange rate), others might want to represent USD assets in AUD.

A minor thing: in the Price Editor currencies in the selection box are sort=
ed
by country while in the currency selection (from within Edit Account) they
are sorted by the 3 letter currency symbol. Why not have the same sorting in
both places ?!

Ekkehard

--=20
Ekkehard G=F6rlach                    Tumringerstrasse 287
e.goerlach@computer.org             D-79539 L=F6rrach