problems with guppi

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:15:20 -0500

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 08:24:00AM +1000, Kevin Hayes wrote:
> > When I ./configure it says:
> >
> > checking for libguppi - version >= 0.35.1... Unknown library `libguppi'
>
> Try using ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --disable-libguppi-test....

The 'unknown library' message comes from gnome-config.  It searches
the "standard" Gnome directories plus $GNOME_PATH for a file called
'lib/libguppiConf.sh', which should have come with your guppi
development files.  My guess is that your Guppi install is in a
"non-standard" location, i.e. not with the rest of your GNOME system
files.

Try running 'gnome-config --modversion libguppi'; if it says "Unknown
library", but you know that a file libguppiConf.sh exists on your
system, you've found the problem.  You need to tell gnome-config where
it should look besides the "standard" path.  You can do this by
setting the environment variable GNOME_PATH to point to the right
place (i.e. if libguppiConf.sh is in /opt/gnome/lib/libguppiConf.sh,
GNOME_PATH needs to include /opt/gnome).  gnome-config knows about
GNOME_PATH and will look there in addition to the standard paths if it
is set.

You'll also need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$GNOME_PATH_ELEM/lib for each GNOME_PATH_ELEM in your GNOME_PATH (you
can do the standard colon-separated path list for GNOME_PATH).  This
is needed to allow the test programs to link and run correctly.

Good luck,
Bill Gribble