gnucash's dependencies criticized/OT

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:51:22 -0400

In a message dated: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:09:36 CDT
Bill Gribble said:

>You can complain about gnome-print needing esound, but can you
>complain about providing a uniform sound API for desktop applications
>within the framework, or about client libraries using that library to
>provide various beeps, bongs, and bells instead of directly opening
>the sound device and stomping on other apps that might be doing sound
>stuff?  "Real programs just use the console beep", you say?  uh,
>right.
>
>IMO, it's a deceptive oversimplification to say that "gnome-print
>depends on esound".  The truth is that "Gnome applications depend on a
>complete set of Gnome system resources being installed".  There's
>nothing broken or worthy of ridicule there.  KDE and Gnome are trying
>to respond to users' desires that applications work together and share
>system components, and it's totally reasonable to require a basic set
>of those components to be installed.

Bill,

Thanks for the explanation.  I never realized exactly how
environments like Gnome or KDE work.  I found it quite enlightening
to realize that they're just expanding the basic Unix philosophy of
pipes, sockets, and redirection to a much greater scale.

Knowing this, I feel a little better (though I still don't think I
need sound to print ;)

Thanks for the great explanation and for learning me something new
today :)
--

Seeya,
Paul