1.6.0 RPM available for Redhat 6.2 available yet

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:54:15 -0400

In a message dated: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:30:47 EDT
Jean-David Beyer said:

>> This may not be a helpful suggestion, but have you tried to install
>> the RPM from redhat-7.x on your 6.2 system?
>
>I have learned from bitter experience never to do that. I do not even
>download RPMs from Red Hat anymore, nor do I use rpmfind.org (or
>whatever it is) anymore either. I find when I do those things, I get
>cascading dependencies that I can never resolve. I once had to
>download about 5 dozen RPMs to get something to load. Then it did not
>work, and the system got so flakey that I had to reinstall the whole
>thing system again from my CD-ROM. I now try to get all my RPMs from
>the same source, from the vendor of my machine (VA Linux Systems),
>because mixing just does not work. Either the dependencies are
>incomplete or incorrect, allowing me to load incompatable RPMs, or
>they do not allow me to install at all. I cannot resolve the cascading
>dependencies because I must usually go to three or more RPM sources to
>get everything, and they make different assumptions and do not work
>together.

Hmmm,  I've never had these types of problems unless the things I'm
changing are things like glibc, but even that was back when we were
going from libc to glibc.  Of course, I tend not to change a whole
lot, especially all at once.  And you do have to pay attention to
what you're changing, otherwise you'll never know what's causing the
flakiness.

My laptop (a crufty old NEC Versa 6500 or something) is still running
RH6.0, but I've upgraded the core Gnome libs a half dozen times, I'm
running a 2.2.19 kernel, and installed all sorts of rpms from who
knows where, and I've never had a stability problem attributed to that
(failing hardware?  sure, lots of times, but I doubt even glibc can
cause a hd failure :)

Of course, I did switch to Debian on my workstation here at work and
at home just for the simple reason that I like apt-get a *whole* lot
better than rpm :)

Just my $.0000002 worth, good luck.
--

Seeya,