Installation Problems

Tim Boring tboring@insight.rr.com
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:19:03 -0500

I'm trying to install gnucash on a SuSE 7.0 system with kernel 2.4.2 and
glibc 2.1.  Here is what I've tried so far:

1. installing gnucash-1.4.9 as rpm, but this gave me a failed
dependencies error saying I needed guile. so I downloaded, compiled
(because of dependency failures w/the guile rpm), and installed guile by
hand, then tried installing the rpm and get failed dependency about not
having libguile.so.9--which is installed and resting happily (or hiding,
perhaps) in /usr/lib.  Maybe this has something to do with the fact that
I can find libguile.so.9 by ls -as /usr/lib by not if I try "find
/usr/lib libguile.so.9"?

2. since I was having trouble with the rpm, I thought maybe I'd have
better luck if I downloaded the source and installed it by hand.  Of
course, then I get some other dependcy error and end up installing slib
and g-wrap.  Once this is done, I do ./configure to configure the
gnucash sources and I get an error message saying it doesn't appear
g-wrap is installed, to make sure that it is installed and it's binary
is in my path.   Okay, so I uninstall and reinstall g-wrap thinking I
did something wrong, and this time I checked where it was installing the
binaries to--supposedly /usr/local/bin.  So after 'make install' for
g-wrap this time I go check /usr/local/bin and find that there is only
g-wrap-config there...no g-wrap binary!

I'm at a loss at this point.  I've been working on this for two nights
now and am just left scratching my head.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?  (Or a beer?)

Thanks,
Tim