Multi-user gnucash

ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:51:29 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Two of us access gnucash from different workstations. The data are in a
> directory for which we both have read/write permissions. The software is
> installed on host 'A' and can be accessed from host 'B' via telnet. (We have
> a secure enough work environment that we can comfortably telnet internally.)
>
>   The problem I'd like to solve is preventing the LCK and LNK files in the
> data directory when gnucash is accessed from host 'B' (the "remote" one). We
> don't get these files when using gnucash from the machine on which it is
> installed (host 'A').
>
>   It's easy enough to remove these spurious files when it's time to fire up
> a new gnucash session, but I'd sure like to just eliminate the problem
> completely. Can someone suggest what we need to do?

I don't know if this would work for you or not, I am travelling
this road with a GIS package I work with (GRASS).  Store your
GnuCash files under CVS.  At least with text files, it can merge
updates from multiple sources.  I'm not sure how it does
with binary files.  It might work.  :-)

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)