Multi-user gnucash

ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:57:40 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> > I don't know if this would work for you or not, I am travelling this road
> > with a GIS package I work with (GRASS).  Store your GnuCash files under
> > CVS.  At least with text files, it can merge updates from multiple
> > sources.  I'm not sure how it does with binary files.  It might work.  :-)

>   No, I think the problem's with gnucash. For some reason, when access is
> from another networked host it just doesn't treat the data files the same
> way. If gnucash has aspirations of becoming a business bookkeeping system,
> it has to not leave lock and link files in the data directory when users
> access the main data file.

Or, at least it needs to leave things in well defined places
referenced to some global identifier.  Is the term URN?
W3C has a name for it anyway.  What I've done with other
stuff (as a partial fix), is to stick this program suite
being used into a "virtual user" ID which has its own group.
I then wrapped a perl script around invoking the various
programs after changing the effective group to that of the program
suite.  All programs were under
 /home/program/bin
and all data files were under
 /home/program/data
This way, it doesn't matter who is running the program.
Having only played with GnuCash a little while, is something
like this workable with GnuCash?

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)