Multi-user gnucash

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:25:05 -0800 (PST)

> Thinking about this a little more, I think all you need is the shell
> (actually more like perl or C) wrapper.  You will need a parent directory
> for your project, which has read/write/execute permissions for the GROUP
> of people working on the project. You probably need SGID set on that
> directory as well, something like 2770 for permissions on that parent
> directory.

  You've lost me totally. What project? What are we to wrap, and why should
this be done? Linux is inherently multi-user (both peer-to-peer and
client-server). We use (or try to, at least) gnucash for personal finance.
But, rather than having both of us work on one machine, my wife invoked
gnucash from her networked workstation by telnet'ing to the workstation on
which the software is installed. When we clear the LCK and LNK files from
the shared data directory, it runs just fine. But, when she exits the
program (or, when I exit the program if I'm running it from a networked
box), the LNK and LCK files are not removed.

  I suppose what you're suggesting is that the shell script that invokes
gnucash include a line to rm the two files every time a user exits. I could
make that change.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)