double entry question

Michael P. Soulier msoulier@storm.ca
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:07:20 -0500

    Hey people. I'm new to the idea of double entry, and I'm far from an
accountant, and I have a basic question.
    I noticed in April's Linux Journal that the initial balance of one's bank
account would come from a corresponding equity account, but the article did
not define where the initial balance in the phone bill would come from. If I'm
just starting to use gnucash and I have an outstanding phone bill, credit card
balance, etc., where does that balance come from?

    Also, would the amount on a bill be a positive or negative value?

    Sorry for the basic questions.

    Thanks,

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a